1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots and celery and cook until the carrots take on a little color. Add the leeks and onions. Continue to sauté gently until the onions are a deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, shallots, and garlic. Sauté until the tomato paste takes on a rusty color and has a sweet aroma.
3. Add the red wine in thirds allow it reduce completely between each addition.
4. Add the bay leaf, thyme and cold water. Bring this to a simmer and allow it to reduce by nearly half, skimming the surface throughout cooking time.
5. Dilute the arrowroot in a little cold water and add enough of it to thicken the sauce so that it will coat the back of a spoon.
6. Strain the sauce. It may be used, or properly cooled and stored.
Fuquay Mineral Spring Inn & Garden Bed and Breakfast
333 South Main Street - Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina (NC) 27526 Local calls: Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill.
Main (919) 552-3782 - Fax: 919-552-5229 - Toll Free (866) 552-3782
email: email@example.com - website: A Raleigh NC Bed and Breakfast