The Fuquay Mineral Spring was discovered in the Spring of 1858 by Davey Crocket Fuquay and Stephen Fuquay while plowing on their father’s farm. The Mineral Spring was believed to have healing powers and visitors came from far and wide to partake of the mineral waters. Hotels and Resort Business developed around the Spring and in the first part of the nineteenth century it was a very popular place to vacation and relax. The nearby homes and the hotels were owned by many of the community’s doctors and businessmen who believed the water was good for whatever cure one would need. Some families still come to drink the water from the Spring today keeping the old tradition alive.
The same year 1858 in Lourdes, France, Saint Bernadette discovered the healing waters from a spring on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. The Catholic Church in Fuquay-Varina bears the name of Saint Bernadette and is located nearby.
The Fuquay Mineral Spring is part of the Fuquay Springs Historic District and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A visit to the Town’s Historic Park is just across the street and is a must when one stays at the Fuquay Mineral Spring Inn.