- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups finely chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds white potatoes, peeled, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 ½ teaspoons dried
- 1 bay leaf
Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add leeks and 1/3 cup garlic, sauté until leeks are almost tender but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add stock, potatoes, parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with Arugula Pesto, swirl into soup and serve.
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula leaves (about 2 large bunches)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 ½ ounces)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.