- 18 1/4-inch-thick slices green tomatoes (about 6 tomatoes)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup peanut oil (for frying)
- Pimento Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Cracked Black Pepper
Prepare fried green tomatoes: Preheat oven to warm.
Sprinkle all green tomato slices with salt and pepper. Place 1/2 cup flour in shallow bowl. Mix remaining 1/2 cup flour with cornmeal in another shallow bowl to blend.
Working with 1 green tomato slice at a time, coat with flour, then egg, then flour-cornmeal mixture. Transfer to plate.
Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry no more than 4-5 green tomatoes until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Using slotted spoon, transfer to prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Keep warm in oven.
- Place 2 Tablespoons of Horseradish Sauce on a plate
- Alternate Fried Tomatoes and pimento cheese to reach three layers